Spec PlanJ: Insulation
what's on this page
Spec Plan-J defines the insulation requirements for your home and other weatherization materials. You want to insulate your home well from cold and hot weather months.
Spec Plan J: Insulation
what you need to do —
Identify areas of the home that needs insulation.
- Insulation is measured by its R-value,
not its thickness. Insulation with a higher
R-value is more efficient.
- Required R-values may vary for walls, ceilings, attics, etc.
Also consider "weatherizing components" that can save energy costs:
- visit our Home Product Showcase for complete
information on insulation and weatherizing:
view center: insulation / weatherizing
- learn about insulation:
Step 1: develop the plan
- take a completed draft of the spec sheet to your architect or planner, who will can customize a building plan or revise an existing plan that meets your specs.
- use your spec sheet and floor plan to bid the construction project to contractors
Step 2: get required building permits
- It will either be up to you or the contractor to obtain each permit.
all about permits
lookup your local government for permit information
Step 3: find pre-screened contractors and other service providers